Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The New Facebook

One would usually think that things fixed would have been at one point or another broken or malfunctioning. It is from my personal experience that I can say with complete confidence that the old facebook layout was absolutely satisfactory and that the new and "improved" layout is better off non-existent.
Although everything looks nice, neat and tidy, it has become increasingly difficult to find anything you need which may or may not defeat the purpose of the new layout. The tabs which have suddenly exploded into every corner have become a) redundant since the same tab can be located twice on the same page, and b) a waste of viewing space which makes it more difficult to see the actual content of the page you're viewing. The infamous flaw of the new layout is the Online Chatting tab at the bottom of the page. Almost never functional, the chat tab has become a nuisance because of its evanescence and incoherency during any given chat. So until the bugs are actually removed from the service, DON'T introduce it to the public! Another very annoying aspect of the new layout is the fact that now if I want to leave a group, I must visit each group individually and remove myself from the member list, rather than simply clicking 'remove' next to each title in a complete list of all the groups to which I belong, as it once was in the old layout.

On the other hand, I'm a fair and balanced person, and have also noticed some good that came out of this change. For one, I don't need to wait an eternity for ten dozens of applications to load so that I can see a person's profile only to have the page cause the computer to freeze. So the boxes tab in profiles has done a lot to ease our suffering. Not to mention the fact that the privacy page has become a lot more user friendly and quite simple to use unlike the complicated hellhole that it once was.

Therefore, after weighing in all the pros and cons of the monstrosity that is the new facebook layout, I've decided that I'm against the new layout and demand the old one back.

No comments: