Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The facebook addiction

It was about a year ago when I first heard about facebook. I had little or no knowledge of what it actually. To me, it was, at the time, unexplored territory. As soon as I got home that day, I immediately visited FB and created my account.
Within a week I was spending 5 to 6 hours a day on it, uploading photos, commenting on other people's photos, browsing groups...the whole nine yards. By the end of my first month, I was spending a minimum of 10 hours a day "facebooking", which, needless to say, took a toll on both my academics and my social life.
This continued for quite a while, until my finals crept slowly from the distance. Now however, I spend not more than 2 hours a day on the site. What changed? Am I slowly getting bored? Is facebook outgrown like online games? I don't know. But the more important question on my mind is: Why is it so hard to stay away from it once you start? In other words: what keeps people coming back to it?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey!
I'm addicted to it too, and I have no idea why it is so, maybe because you have all your friends there, and..who is not addicted to his/her friends?

I don't think it takes away your social life, it just, changes it, cause want it or not, you are socializing in it now, instead of outdoors, but sometimes at 2 Am there is no way to be socializing outdoors, and so, you log in to FB.

There is a widget from facebook that you can add to your blog actually, you can steal it from my blog if you want ;)

Jonathan Bert said...

Khalid, I am glad to see you blogging. It is very interesting to get your thoughts out where others can see them, especially when they are a little different from the thoughts of those around you. Keep it up!

Jonathan Bert
The Extreme Moderate

Tasray said...

Facebook has corrupted many people, I think it's just because all you're friends are online, and you want to spend more time with them and so on.

Well anyway, glad to hear that you've become less addicted to it, I had to delete mine during my exams, too distracting :]

Khalid said...

thanks for the replies guys :) and I'll be sure to steal that widget, solitarius. I also added some application called Flog, or something.